March is Nutrition Month!
This year, the focus of the Dietitians of Canada’s National Nutrition Month campaign is “Unlock the Potential of Food.”
Throughout the month of March, Registered Dietitians across Canada will help people discover the potential of food to enhance lives, improve health, inspire children, fuel activities and bring people together!
Participate in Nutrition Month by unlocking the:
- Potential to fuel: Help your child stay energized by preparing nutritious snacks each day.
- Potential to discover: Foster healthy eating habits in your child by including them in meal and snack planning and teaching them to shop and cook.
- Potential to prevent: Help your child understand how food can help to keep their body and mind healthy.
- Potential to bring us together: Cook and eat together as a family as much as possible.
Try making this easy recipe with your child to “Unlock the Potential of Food” together.
Turkey & Veggie Stuffed Pita*
Makes 4 servings
Preparation Time: 10 min
This easy-to-make sandwich gives leftovers a new lease on life with some serious crunch factor. Use the turkey mixture to make an equally delicious salad. Add a splash of rice vinegar and enjoy.
1/3 cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt 75 mL
2 tbsp light mayonnaise 30 mL
1 tsp Dijon or yellow mustard 5 mL
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper 1 mL
1 ½ cups chopped cooked turkey breast meat 375 mL
1/2 cup diced red or green bell pepper 125 mL
1/4 cup grated carrot 60 mL
2 whole grain pita pockets 2
4 leaves of lettuce 4
1/4 English cucumber, thinly sliced 1/4
In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard and pepper. Stir in turkey, red pepper and carrot until coated well.
Cut pitas in half and open pockets. Tuck lettuce and cucumber slices into each half and spoon in turkey mixture.
Turkey & Veggie Stuffed Pita recipe is featured in Cookspiration (www.cookspiration.com).
* This recipe meets the criteria for Maximum Nutritional Value for an entrée.
Be healthy this March!!