Hello Thunderbird Families:
It is our sincere hope that you and your families are healthy, safe and well. The staff at St. Daniel School continues to miss our students greatly and are sincerely grateful for your support of Distance Learning. Please continue to review our school newswire messages throughout the summer for updated information as it becomes available.
During the last week of June, we will be inviting families to school for the retrieval of students’ personal belongings. Our WCDSB has outlined parameters that have been directed by the Ministry of Education and approved by Waterloo Region Public Health. Please see the information below for instructions and protocols to be carefully followed. Your cooperation and understanding is truly appreciated.
So we can keep everyone safe, manage the volume, and adhere to physical distancing guidelines, we ask that families carefully read and follow the schedule and guidelines listed below:
- Parents/guardians must complete the self-assessment tool in the link provided prior to arrival: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/. If you are experiencing any symptoms, please do not come into the school.
- One Parent/guardian will line up at the front of the school using the markers provided to ensure that there are 2 metres between each person.
- Parents/guardians are encouraged to bring their own masks and disposable gloves.
- To maintain a safe distance we ask that you please park in the large church lot, our front parking lot will be closed. An exception will be made for those students and parents/guardians that need accessible parking and have a city of Kitchener accessible parking permit.
- If you can walk to the school, this would alleviate any parking issues.
- There will be no more than 7 families in the school at a time.
- Students are to be supervised by a parent/guardian.
- All people entering the school are asked to use the hand sanitizer provided upon entry and exit.
- The playground/blacktop area remains closed.
- Once you have all your items you are respectfully asked to leave the school grounds.
- No social gatherings in the parking lot or school yard with other families or students during pick up/drop off times.
What to expect when you arrive at the school:
- When you arrive please choose the appropriate line, we will have staff to support you with this process.
- There will be a line for families with students in a portable and for families that have students in the school. If you have a student in the school and the portable you are asked to visit the portable line first and then head to the school line.
When entering the school:
- You will be asked your child’s name and teacher’s name, we will radio ahead and have your items ready to pick up upon entry.
- You will come in through the front doors and leave through the front doors.
- All student desk items/school work/shoes will be in a bag and labelled with your child’s name.
- If your child has medications at school please pick them up at the office.
- Once you have the bag we respectfully ask that you proceed to leave the school grounds.
When in a portable:
- No more than one family will be in a portable at a time.
- All student desk items, school work will be in a bag and labelled with your child’s name. The bag will be at the back of the portable. Please do not go past the row of desks.
- If your child has medications that are stored at school please pick them up at the office.
- Additionally, you will need to do a quick search of the coat rack area to retrieve any outdoor items (i.e. shoes, sweater) that belong to your child.
- Once you have the bag we respectfully ask that you proceed to leave the school grounds, the same way you entered so we can monitor and move the lines quickly.
Library Books, Textbooks, and other School Materials:
- If you have any library books, home readers, math textbooks, or other school materials you are asked to return them at this time. There will be a large bin in the foyer for you to drop off at.
- You will also receive a call or email from your child’s teacher indicating what library books/textbooks need to be returned to school.
- If you borrowed a device for your child to participate in distance learning DO NOT return it at this time
UNLESS you meet this criteria ….
- If you are moving to another school board
- If wish to return the chromebook for the summer
- Will be mailed to your home the last week of June. If you have moved please provide the office with your new address.
- If your student is in Grade 1-8 their yearbook will be available for pickup in September.
- If your child is in Grade 8 they will get their yearbook on our Graduation pickup day.
Please Note: Unclaimed items will be donated to charity after the final pick-up day, other than in very unique circumstances.
Pick up Schedule:
In order to accommodate the number of families that need to pick up items and maintain safety guidelines, we will be following an alphabetical order for our pick up:
Last name beginning with A – Bo: Monday June 22nd from 9am – 12pm
Last name beginning with Br – Fe: Monday June 22nd from 12pm – 3pm
Last name beginning with Fi – Kh: Tuesday June 23rd from 9am – 12pm
Last name beginning with Ki – Mo: Tuesday June 23rd from 12pm – 3pm
Last name beginning with Mu – So: Wednesday June 24th from 9am – 12pm
Last name beginning with Sp – Z: Wednesday June 24th from 12pm – 3pm
We truly appreciate that this is a very complex time and that there are many details that you have to read and adhere to. We will do our best to make this as smooth as possible and will have staff available to support with this process. If you have any questions please feel free to call the office and we will get back to as soon as possible.
Thank you for your continued support. Together we’ve got this!